“This beet burger recipe is from my cookbook, Living Luxe Gluten Free
. I call it the Ms. Fit Burger, and it is a fave in our household.”
15 oz. canned black beans, rinsed, drained and mashed (or ½ cup dry beans, soaked, cooked, drained and mashed)
3 medium beets, cooked and mashed
1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
1⁄4 red onion, chopped + 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg, lightly beaten (for vegan prep, soak 1 tbsp. flax meal in 3 tbsp. water for 5 minutes)
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄4 to 1⁄2 cup rice, cooked
1 to 2 tbsp. GF oat flour
1 tbsp. butter or butter substitute
GF Burger buns or GF bread slices
- Combine mashed beans and beets in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place green pepper, chopped onion, and garlic in a food processor and finely chop. Once chopped, pour into mashed beans and beets and combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, black pepper, paprika, and salt. Combine with bean and green pepper mixture and stir. Then stir rice into mixture until sticky. Add half of the thinly sliced onions and gradually stir in oat flour (adding just enough to help mixture stick together). Use hands to form 4 tightly packed patties.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook burgers for 3 minutes per side, or until outsides are slightly browned.
- While burgers cook, sauté remaining onion slices in pan along- side patties. If using cheese, place on top of burgers while cooking to melt (I tend to put the cheese on immediately after the patties have been cooked on one side and I’ve flipped them over to begin cooking on the other side).
- When burgers are ready, place in buns and top with sautéed onions and condiments. Serve.