One of our foundational beliefs here on the farm is that we have a responsibility to the land and our community. In Sarahlee’s own words, “I feel a duty to the land to steward it with the help of an amazing team. We are dedicated to the plants and animals on the farm to give them the best life possible as they produce food for us. But, most importantly we have a duty to deliver the land’s abundance to our Central Oregon community.”
Since Rainshadow’s beginning in 2010, food access–connecting community to land and fresh produce–has been central. We believe all people deserve nutrient dense, local, organic food. In 2021 we approached this by:
- Working with Neighbor Impact to coordinate gleaning days and for direct food donation when we had surplus. Last year we donated over 10,000 pounds of produce over the course of the growing season.
- In our Farm Store we can take SNAP benefits for groceries and, in 2021, we were able to provide our community with over $4,000 in vegetables, meats, grains, and preserves from our Farm Store.
- We provide opportunities for community members to gain access to our CSAs by providing work trades for CSAs and taking SNAP benefits.
- We provides opportunities for youth groups and therapy programs to get outside and learn about where their food comes from.
- We open our fields to gleaning at the end of our growing season during our Customer Appreciation Day.