Most people say by the end of summer, “Sarahlee! Please, I cannot eat all this zucchini! Why more!? No more!” Summer Squash is coming out of our ears come August and September, and I say, “BRING IT ON.” It is so mild and versatile, and I absolutely recommend a spiralizer for all us Central Oregonians because the zucchini grows well here. It definitely cuts down on pasta use to boot, and we can all probably stand to take a meal or two and substitute a vegetable for pasta. That being said, doesn’t that give us a pass to have just a little bacon? Everything in moderation, right? It’s all about balance. And if you have ever joined Rainshadow CSA, you have had the opportunity to sample theirs. Thick cut, smokey, and everything I want in a BLT. Quite a treat, let me tell you.
This recipe is so simple and definitely will get you through a busy weeknight with minimal hassle.
BLT Zucchini Pasta
3/4 lb bacon, (crisped in cast iron if possible because, yes!)
2 lbs tomatoes, diced, or cherry tomatoes cut in half
4 medium-ish or 3 large zucchini, spiralized
1 Tbsp avocado oil
1 bunch scallion, sliced thin.
1 large lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Literally so simple!
- Crisp the bacon first and chop into bite size.
- Toss the zucchini with a little avocado oil in a non-stick pan until hot, but not tender over medium heat, about 4 minutes. They will sweat a lot. Don’t be afraid! I like to drain the water a little so I don’t have to plate a pool, but it won’t hurt you if you don’t, I promise.
- Toss in tomato and scallion until it is just warm.
- Squeeze in 1 lemon, a little salt and pepper, and toss again.
- Plate and top with bacon.
- Optional, but you can squeeze a little aioli on the plate if you feel inclined. I like it, but it is so good without it.