Roasting a whole chicken is a commitment. If you do it right, you can get 2L of gorgeous seasoned bone broth to make a soup or gravy later on, along with four to six substantial whole meat portions, not to mention two more portions of pulled chicken. If you are really into respecting the animal’s life by using it in its entirety, you also have 4 portions of chicharones and This is also the most affordable way to eat pastured meat. This is a staple in my home. You can check out my recipe “The Sunday Roast” for tips on how to make a perfect crispy skinned roasted chicken, but for now, we are going to talk about using the pulled chicken from the bird.
Rainshadow puts out a lot of cabbages and kales during the winter. They are nutrient dense and grow well in our challenging climate. The cruciferous nature of these vegetables, be them a bit bitter and spicy can make them somewhat challenging to get creative with. I assure you there are more than just coleslaw and green smoothies in the world. Today I made an alternative version of a chicken caesar salad with cabbage and purple kale and topped it with crispy chicken chicharrones. Vitamins galore.
Kale and Cabbage Chicken Caesar with Chicharrones
For the salad:
1 small head of purple kale, stems removed and sliced thin
¼ head of cabbage, core removed and sliced thin
2 large slicing tomatoes, sliced thin
2 cups pulled chicken
The removed skin of a roasted chicken
4 oz feta cheese
For the Caesar Dressing:
¾ cup avocado oil
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 oz parmigiano reggiano, roughly chopped small
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 clove fresh garlic
1 tin anchovies, oil removed
Lots of cracked pepper
Juice of one lemon
1 whole egg
- Add all dressing ingredients to the blender and blend.
- Toss some of the dressing with the cabbage and plate with the sliced tomatoes and chopped purple kale.
- Crisp the chicken skin on low heat in a nonstick skillet until the fat is rendered and resembles bubbly, crispy chicharrones. Set aside on a paper towel to drain the oil
- In the same skillet, heat the pulled chicken in the same oil from the chicharrones.
- Top the salad with the chicken, chicken chicharrones, and crumbled feta cheese. Serve immediately.